DOUBLE BONUS!!

DOUBLE BONUS!!
Double Trouble??

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Junior Partner

My Mom & Dad came down to visit the girls in the NICU last week. My dad is is a very funny guy, and remains among the most entertaining people I know. He is always cheerful, talking about his favorite pastimes; the Blackhawks or the Bears, the stock market, or current events. He was a lawyer in his career for the better part 35 years, and still speaks the tongue.

Sitting in Hanna's "pod" in the NICU, my dad motioned to the "pod" next door was Ashlyn lives, and says "How is the Junior partner?" I laughed out loud for a good minute or two.....It was a much needed good belly laugh, and a funny and very accurate description of Ashlyn.

She has been the junior partner right from the start. Our first real indication of trouble came around 22 weeks, when ultrasound first indicated she was much smaller than her sister; Her head, stomach, and estimated weight were all lower than Hanna's. It was estimated at one point she was 30% smaller than her twin. She came out only 20% smaller than her sister, however, that hasn't changed the hard reality. She continues to be the "junior partner" and get the short end of the stick.

My Iphone read "unknown caller" around 10am this morning, and I knew instantly who it was. The hospital NICU has called several times, and it always reads the same. They don't call to give you happy, cheerful status updates on your children in intensive care; they only call to tell you about problems.

Hanna on Saturday

I answered, and a Amanda, a new "resident" introduced herself on the other end of the line. She explained that Ashlyn had had a rough night....A whopping 80 CC's of fluid had drained out of her chest tube, and she was having increasingly difficulty breathing. they had turned her ventilator all the way to 50 to compensate. They had done a round of xrays and seen a large fluid buildup; Not on the side with the chest tube, the right....... but on the left side. She was calling for permission to insert a 2nd chest tube, this time on the left. She went through all the standard disclaimer; risk of infection, risk of bleeding blah blah blah....Then said "besides that, she's doing great!"

That familiar feeling started again; the deep pain starting to well up inside me. I went upstairs and told Sara and she started to cry. We went down to the NICU soon therafter.


Weekend "rounds"
We arrived just in time for "rounds". It's a different crew on the weekends. They went through the standard routine; Ashlyn had:
  • 80 CC's fluid drain from chest tube
  • 20 CC's from 2nd chest tube
  • on 55% oxygen
  • Recommended stopping feeds
  • Off Antibiotics
  • Visibly Bloated
  • Adding Hydro cortisone
Hanna's report was better: No major issues-a slight concern with an elevated heart rate (tachycardia), and murmur related to a hopefully closing PDA, but otherwise increasing feeds and gaining weight.

Looking at poor little Ashlyn was painful. She was totally bloated, and didn't look like the same micro girl we had left the day before. With 2 chest tubes sticking out of both sides of her chest, and asleep on pain meds, she didn't look so good.

I chatted with the doctor for awhile, and he told me they say "5 or 10" Chylothorax's per year in the NICU in Denver. He says "Its really a weird one.....but the good thing is it's treatable. It just takes time, maybe weeks. The lymph system simply has to plug the hole and heal itself...not much we can do but wait."

Sara and I spent a few hours at the NICU; Sara pumped and did "Kangaroo care" with Hanna. We put our hands on poor little Ashlyn, but 9 days into her life, have yet to hold her. We drove home in silence, the emotional tidal wave of it all crashing over us.

All in all, a very difficult day, maybe the worst yet since we started this journey.

Please give our "junior partner" some good vibes and prayer.

5 comments:

  1. Hang in there little sweetheart Ashlyn. Praying for her.
    Sending her lots of love and strength and healing thoughts to get through this rough patch.

    kisses and hugs to the whole fam. I know this is so very painful and difficult for all. Wish I could wave a magic wand and make it all better so they can be like Sara's sweet little illustration.

    XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO. XO.

    KATE

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sending you all our love and positive energy. Praying for strength and healing- for the little ones and you guys. Keep your energy up and shine your love on them!

    Peace,
    sf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ashlyn I'm sending SO much good energy your way, you can do it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, My name is Susan Sherburne, I am a friend of Penny Terstegge and I know your Dad through Chico Art Center. Penny sent me your blog thinking I would be interested in it as I have identical twin boys, now 34 years old. I have followed the progress of the twins with anguish, tears, love and prayers. It has been so long now that I had forgot all of the things you do, see and feel but your blog has brought it all back to me with a wealth of emotion. I feel your hope, your pain and your love for your darling daughters. Our sons were whisked off to Stanford University Hospital in SF with hours of their birth. They had respiratory problems and were on ventilators and Chico did not have the capability to deal with premies in this type of care. I remember them being taken to the airport as I watched them be flown out of here in two separate leer jets with a Dr. and 2 nurses at their side. I just stood there in mass of emotion, not knowing if I should get in the car and follow, but their pediatrician here told me to go home and get some rest because I was going to need it when they came home. I did as he said, and I still don't know if it was the right or wrong decision but all worked out well. I remember that their Dr. in SF name was Dr. Sunshine and that seemed to make everything okay. You just reach for any straw for comfort and it is okay. Ashlyn seems to be a little fighter and she doesn't seem like she would give up for any reason, she does need all the positive love and prayers along with the medical expertise she has, but I truly feel it is you and everyone sending strong thoughts to both of them that will help them grow and become the sweet little girls we know they will be. Love is a powerful tool and we have all seen it work in our lives. I will continue to follow their progress and I send you both strength and love to get through this very difficult time. You will not forget these traumatic times for a long time to come, but as they grow the fear and emotional times fade. I wish all of you the best for now and the future. I hope you will have some help when you take them home, because that is when the reality of having twins sets in, but it is all glorious and those of us who are blessed enough to have twins have a much keener sense of how life works, just watch them grow and you will see what I mean. Blessings to the four of you. If you want to talk to a mother of twins you are welcome to write me at susanshoop@yahoo.com, but for now I am right there thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,

      This is a wonderfully touching note. Thank you for sharing with us, and for the sending your prayers and love. It means alot. We look forward to talking more with you, and will drop you an email soon.

      Delete